Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Juicing - Okay, I'll Give It A Try

So a friend convinced me to try a juice fast for 30 days. She promises me, I will see great benefits! After watching some videos and doing some research I decided to commit and give it a try.

Day One of Juicing.

Step one, I went out and got a Juicer. Why a juicer? You can't use a blender or a mixer or even a food processor. So, don't try it. Tonight I made a juice that involved pressing a RAW sweet potato into liquid... try that in your blender! Not happening!

Step two, I downloaded the plans and recipes from jointhereboot.com and made myself a shopping list. My friend recommends this site, but there are plenty of others and even some that iphone apps too.

Step 3, I went to the store and bought ton of produce, including things I never buy, LIKE KALE. Who the heck wants Kale? Have you seen that funny commercial where the woman says she is running with a "fad diet" and they are all cray cray on the kale? Well, that is me now. LOL.

Frabz-out-of-organic-kale-how-

I walked up to the counter and the lady looked at me like I was crazy as i loaded the conveyor belt with enough fruits and veggies to feed an army of rabbits. It was amazing, but the total tab was about 50.00 less than I normally spend eating nothing but lean protein. Of course Salmon, Lox and Trout can be kinda pricey in large quantities.

Get-the-most-from-healthy-frui

Step 4, I watched some videos on youtube about how to juice. DUH? Unless you have juiced before you might assume that you put everything in and its just like presto, it comes out ready to drink, but you actually have to kinda force things through and then depending on how much you are making, you need to mix it up together and some people recommend putting hard items through and then soft items etc, to increase the amount of juice you get out of each item. Some people recommend running the pulp through again. So I guess there are some right ways and wrong ways to do things and then there are preferences.

Green-juice-21

Step 5, I juiced and I liked it!  So, I made four juices in one session. I have tomorrows morning and lunch juice ready and had my dinner juice tonight. It was fantastic! 
I made the following juices.

Carrot Apple Ginger Juice
3 Carrots
2 Apples
1” Ginger

____________________________________

Mean Green Juice
1 Cucumber
4 Celery stalks
2 Apples
6-8 leaves Kale
1/2 Lemon
1” Ginger
___________________________________

Citrus Inspired Green Juice
6-8 leaves Kale
8 leaves Swiss chard
1 Cucumber
6 Clementines
________________________________________

Sunset Blend Juice (OMG, MY fave so far! Love it!)
1 lg Sweet Potato
1 med Carrot
1 Red Bell Pepper
2 lg Red Beets
2 Golden Delicious Apples
1 Orange (optional)

So far the side effects are light headed-ness, a zingy sort of giddy energy and a lot of trips to see a man about a horse, as they say. LOL...

No comments: