Thursday, June 28, 2012

Save the Cat! Drink the Wine!

As an aspiring screenwriter and one of the many people who reads countless books on the topic of screenwriting and the "industry".

I read Save The Cat and then I read it again and then again. Even though there are several bibles out there for format, structure, writing in a certain time-frame or a certain genre, i found Blake Snyder's book the most valuable overall for quickly giving me the BOTTOM LINE on what it's really all about.

I was lucky enought to talk to Blake a few times before he passed away and he was the sweetest person, very encouraging. He took the time to answer my questions and offer some great feedback. He will be missed.

Screenwriting is like wine, people can convolute the enjoyment, creation, process of it, and at the end of the day, wine either tastes good or it doesn't. It sounds funny, but this book brought me back to the core of what I love about screenwriting and made me stop fearing the deux machina and concentrate simply on Saving The Cat!

I recommend the book to anyone looking to write screenplays and to those who just love movies.

What is on your essential reading list?

Save-the-cat_medium

 

No comments: